“Julie Through The System” Full Stack Software Engineer
We are offering a short term contract, via a bidding process, to a motivated, innovative, and versatile individual, willing to work diligently to help us develop an app based on our Julie Through The System (JTTS) curriculum. The ideal consultant will also have a passion for racial justice and youth justice reform.
The W. Haywood Burns Institute (BI) is a national non-profit organization based in Oakland, California. Our mission is to protect and improve the lives of youth and adults of color and the well-being of their communities by ensuring fairness and equity throughout the justice system. BI uses a data-driven and collaborative approach to reducing racial and ethnic disparities by working with justice and community stakeholders to develop community alternatives to justice system involvement.
Additionally, through the Community Justice Network for Youth (CJNY), BI supports communities in building capacity to hold child serving systems accountable and reduce the inappropriate use of the youth justice system for youth misbehavior. BI has worked in over 100 sites nationwide.
CJNY is a national network of 130 community based organizations working to improve the lives of system involved youth of color. CJNY staff serve these organizations through a variety of programs as well as work to integrate community stakeholders into juvenile justice reform efforts. CJNY includes 7 local “task forces” across the country. These Task Forces are comprised of CJNY member organizations organizing together to eliminate racial and ethnic disparities in juvenile justice systems.
About the Contract Position:
Over 50,000 youths will enter the juvenile justice system this year, the vast majority of whom will be poor youth of color. Upon entry to the system they will be subjected to a lot of legal jargon. The JTTS app emulates the steps youth take upon entry into the system and teaches youth about key decision makers they will encounter.
The goal is to develop a codebase that can target the web and mobile. This may be one of, but is not limited to:
- React + React Native
- Angular + Ionic
- Canvas + Phonegap/Cordova
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop new user-facing features
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability
- Assure that all user input is validated before submitting to back-end
- Identify development constraints
- Collaborate with Product team members and stakeholders
- Strong git experience
- Experience with git-based deploys
- UNIX-based environments (3+years’ experience)
- Docker experience is a plus
- AWS/DO + S3 experience is a plus
- Strong Python Skills (intermediate to advanced)
- Django (2+ years of experience)
- Knowledge of svc is a plus
- TypeScript is a plus
- AngularJS (1.1.x) or EmberJS (at least 1 year of experience)
- Grunt or equivalent build tool
- Webpack (1 – 2 years of experience)
- Familiarity with HTML5
- Strong knowledge of CSS
- CSS Preprocessors (sass is a plus)
- Twitter Bootstrap or other front-end styling frameworks
- Ionic or Phonegap/Cordova (1+ years of experience)
- Strong understanding of stage-management
- Familiarity with unidirectional stage management schemes is a plus
- A solid understanding of OOP and object-oriented design principles
- Dedicated to implementing good code practices
- Comfortable working with nonprofit/advocacy organizations
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and lead a team
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others
- Ability to work collaboratively in developing new techniques, ideas and skills
- Strong communication skills
This is a contract position lasting two to three months. Compensation is based upon deliverables not by hours. Please submit a bid for the project.
TO APPLY, PLEASE EMAIL COVER LETTER, RESUME, LinkedIN and Github Profiles (and stack overflow if available) AND code samples TO firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send documents in Microsoft Word or Adobe pdf format with “TTS Engineer” in the subject line.
The position will be open until filled and starts immediately.
The W. Haywood Burns Institute is a social justice organization, and strongly supports the social goals of affirmative action. We therefore make special efforts to recruit individuals from groups that are historically underrepresented in professional environments, or that suffer from broader societal discrimination.